Apricot Pastry Bars Recipe
Perfect for a casual gathering or fancier event, this recipe from field editor Nancy Foust of Stoneboro, Pennsylvania is a crowd-pleaser. "These special bars were among 40 kinds of cookies and bars I made for my niece's wedding reception," she says.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cans (12 ounces each) apricot filling
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, 2 egg whites, milk and vanilla; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half, making one portion slightly larger.
- 3. Roll out larger portion of dough between two large sheets of waxed paper into a 17-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of pan; trim pastry even with top edges. Spread apricot filling over dough; sprinkle with walnuts.
- 4. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pan; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Whisk remaining egg white; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 125 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 63 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Apricot Pastry Bars
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC