This nice and tart spread can add extra-special flavor to homemade muffins and biscuits, especially when the baked goodies are fresh from the oven.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + soaking
- 1 package (6 ounces) dried apricots
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Soak apricots in water overnight; drain; reserving 2 tablespoons
- In a blender, combine apricots and reserved liquid ; process for
- about 10 seconds. Add cream cheese; process just until blended,
- about 10-20 seconds. Add walnuts and blend until mixed. Store in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons (prepared with light cream cheese and 1/4 cup walnuts) equals 70 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 53 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat.