I'm expected to bring these wonderful treats to our family picnic each year. Their sweet apricot filling and delicate meringue topping make them everyone's favorite. I wouldn't dream of hosting a get-together without serving these bars. -Krissy Fossmeyer, Huntley, Illinois
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) apricot filling
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine flour and 1/2 cup sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Add egg yolks and vanilla. Press into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Spread apricot filling over crust.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread the meringue evenly over filling; sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack (meringue will crack). Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 32 bars.
Originally published as Apricot Meringue Bars in Taste of Home October/November 2002, p29
Reviews for Apricot Meringue Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review