Apricot Layer Cake Recipe
"Pssst! Don't tell anyone this tender fruity layer cake starts with a convenient mix!" urges Eureka, Illinois farm woman Molly Knapp.
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange or lemon extract
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, cook butter over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Pour into a large bowl; beat in confectioners’ sugar and orange juice.
- 4. Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the apricot preserves. Top with a second layer; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with a third layer; spread with remaining apricot preserves. Top with the remaining layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- 5. Sprinkle with nuts. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 511 calories, 20g fat (7g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 376mg sodium, 82g carbohydrate (63g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Apricot Layer Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC