- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange or McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves
- BROWNED BUTTER FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high for 2 minutes. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, cook butter over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Pour into a large bowl; beat in confectioners’ sugar and orange juice.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the apricot preserves. Top with a second layer; spread with 1/2 cup frosting. Top with a third layer; spread with remaining apricot preserves. Top with the remaining layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- Sprinkle with nuts. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Apricot Layer Cake in Taste of Home April/May 1997, p67
Reviews for Apricot Layer Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review