Apricot Kuchen Recipe
A neighbor gave me this recipe in 1927 when I was just a new bride. It's spiced with cardamom and tastes luscious!
- 8 ounces dried apricots halves
- 3 cups cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110°-115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Ground cinnamon
- Additional sugar
- 1. Place apricots and water in a bowl; soak overnight. In a saucepan, place apricots, soaking liquid and sugar. Simmer until apricots are transparent. Cool; drain and set aside. Place flour in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Dissolve yeast in water; add to crumb mixture along with sugar, salt, eggs and cardamom. Beat until smooth (dough will be soft and sticky). Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. On a floured surface or pastry cloth, knead dough for 2 minutes. Divide into three portions; roll each in a 9-in. circle. Place each in a greased 9-in. round baking pan. Let rise until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours. Place apricots on top of dough. Combine cinnamon and sugar; sprinkle over apricots. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Cool on wire racks. Yield: 3 kuchens (about 24 servings).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 249 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 184 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC