Apricot Habanero Jam
This jam is excellent warmed and brushed over a baking pork roast. It has an appealing spicy-sweet taste. Megan Taylor
50 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Process: 10 min. + standing
- 3-1/2 pounds fresh apricots
- 6 tablespoons bottled lemon juice
- 2 to 4 habanero peppers, seeded
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 7 cups sugar
- Pit and chop apricots; place in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Stir in
- lemon juice. Place habaneros in a blender; add a small amount of
- apricot mixture. Cover and process until smooth. Return to the pan.
- Stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil. Quickly stir in sugar.
- Return to a full rolling boil; boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Pour hot mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace.
- Adjust caps. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath. For
- best results, let processed jam stand at room temperature for 2
- weeks to set up. Yield: 11 half-pints.
Editor’s Note: When cutting hot peppers, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face. The processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. Add 1 minute to the processing time for each 1,000 feet of additional altitude.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 130 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.