Our Test Kitchen home economists blend apricot preserves and a few simple seasonings to dress up tender asparagus spears. This succulent side dish goes great with any entree.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- In a large skillet, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; place asparagus
- in a steamer basket over water. Cover and steam for 5 minutes or
- until crisp-tender; drain and keep warm.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, bring the preserves, vinegar,
- cinnamon and ginger to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for
- 2-4 minutes or until glaze begins to thicken. Pour over asparagus.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (4 ounces) equals 113 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 22 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.