Apricot-Filled Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-2/3 cups sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups canned apricots, mashed
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine apricots, water, almonds, lemon juice and remaining sugar. Cook and stir until thickened, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- 3. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion to 1/8-in thickness. Cut half of the dough with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Cut second portion with a 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are very lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. To assemble, spread bottom of solid cookies with filling; top with cutout cookies. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
1 each: 237 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Apricot-Filled Cookies
"These cookies are delightful and exactly what I wanted. A firm but not crunchy cookie with a sweet filling. I used apricot preserves instead to save time and they tasted great. A beautiful addition to any cookie tray."