These cute handheld desserts are flaky and tender outside with a flavorful fruit filling inside. They take a little time to make, but you'll know they're worth it when the compliments start flowing.
35 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 6 tablespoons apricot jam
- In a small bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until light and
- fluffy. Gradually beat in the flour and lemon peel. Shape dough into
- a ball. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator 1 hour before rolling. On a
- lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 17-1/2-in. x
- 12-1/2-in. rectangle; cut into 2-1/2-in. squares. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon
- jam onto each square. Brush edges with water; fold pastry over
- filling, forming a triangle. Seal edges well with a fork.
- Place on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at
- 375° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire
- racks. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 35 empanadas.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 89 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.