Apricot Coffee Cake with Coconut Topping Recipe
Several years ago, I found my niche writing coffee cake recipes to enter into the New York State Fair. I have developed several recipes over the course of my 25-year marriage. My husband is a tough critic, so I knew I had a hit when he labelled this one a winner.—Suzanne Katko, Syracuse, New York
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) apricot halves
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9-in. round baking pan. Drain apricot halves, reserving 1/4 cup juice. Cut each apricot piece in half.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg, milk and reserved juice. In another bowl, whisk flour, cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Transfer to prepared pan; arrange apricots over batter. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Preheat broiler. For topping, in a small bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Beat in coconut and milk. Spread over warm cake. Broil 4-5 in. from heat 4-6 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Apricot Coffee Cake with Coconut Topping in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014
Reviews for Apricot Coffee Cake with Coconut Topping
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review