Apricot-Coconut French Toast Recipe
As a busy activity director in RV parks, Jean Groen of Apache Junction, Arizona recalls, “I was always looking for easy food to prepare for various functions. This breakfast dish always brought raves and recipe requests!” JEAN’S TIP: “Leftovers, if there are any, are wonderful. Just microwave them for 15 seconds per slice.”
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 7 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 16 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- Maple syrup
- 1. In a small microwave-safe bowl, heat apricots and water on high for 2 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain.
- 2. Pour butter into a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan and tilt to coat bottom. Sprinkle with coconut and apricots. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over fruit.
- 3. In a large shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt. Dip bread into egg mixture; soak for 1 minute. Place slices close together over coconut mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 4. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with syrup. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 359 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 209 mg cholesterol, 460 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC