Apricot Cheese Danish Recipe
My family thinks this delicious danish is a real treat. It's a treat to make, too, since you mix it up at night, then just roll it out and bake the next morning.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the sugar, butter, eggs and sour cream. Gradually add salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in remaining flour (the dough will be soft and sticky). Place in a greased bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 2-3 times. Divide in half. Roll each half into a 16-in. x 10-in. oval; place on greased baking sheets.
- 3. For filling, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla until smooth. Spread 1-1/4 cups filling over each oval to within 1 in. of edges. Fold longest side over filling; pinch edges to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Spread preserves on top. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 209 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 129 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC