Apricot Cheese Crescents Recipe
Traditionally, I bake these for Christmas. A cross between sweet breads and cookies, they're also something that I have been asked to make for weddings. I'm a widow with two grown sons and five grandchildren. -Ruth Gilhousen, Knoxdale, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch YIELD:27 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 package (6 ounces) dried apricots
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Add cottage cheese; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- 2. For the filling, combine apricots and water in a saucepan. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 3. Pour into a blender; cover and process on high speed until smooth. Transfer to a bowl; stir in sugar. Cover and chill.
- 4. For topping, combine almonds and sugar; set aside. On a floured surface, roll the balls into 2-1/2-in. circles. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of filling onto each. Fold dough over filling and pinch edges to seal.
- 5. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush tops with egg white; sprinkle with almond mixture. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 168 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 144 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC