I like to make this fruity bread in a bundt pan for special occasions such as Christmas or Easter morning. Cream cheese, apricots and pecans make it a tantalizing treat.
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1-1/2 cups warm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar, egg, flour and orange peel until smooth; set aside. Soak apricots in warm water for 15 minutes; drain well. Cut apricots into small pieces; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg, orange juice, oil and water. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in pecans and apricots. Spoon two-thirds of the batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Top with cream cheese filling and remaining batter. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate before slicing. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Apricot Cheese Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p18
Reviews for Apricot Cheese Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review