These whole wheat breakfast rolls are a real treat, with their hint of cinnamon and sweet glaze! "I came up with this original recipe while trying to make cinnamon rolls without using butter, margarine or oil," recalls Connie Knudtson, Joplin, Missouri. "It won first prize in the heart-healthy cooking contest at the Ozark Empire Fair one year."
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 jar (14-1/2 ounces) apricot spreadable fruit, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cold fat-free milk
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in warm milk, salt, whole wheat flour and 3 cups all-purpose flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 8 times. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes. Roll into an 18-in. square. Spread 1 cup fruit spread to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll up jelly-roll style; pinch seam to seal. Cut into 12 pieces; place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. For glaze, in a bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, cold milk and remaining fruit spread. Drizzle over rolls. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Apricot Breakfast Rolls in Light & Tasty August/September 2003, p14
Reviews for Apricot Breakfast Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 4, 2015
"Very tasty with a light and moist texture."