This is my most asked-for recipe. I've used it for many years, which is obvious from my recipe card that's yellowed and full of stains. The fruity appearance and taste of this easy-to-make bread blend beautifully with our warm Florida sunshine. It's always a hit whenever I serve it.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + soaking Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup snipped dried apricots
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts
- Soak apricots in warm water for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a bowl,
- cream the sugar, butter and egg. Stir in orange juice. Combine
- flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed
- mixture just until combined. Drain apricots well; add to batter with
- nuts. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350°
- for 55 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool 10 minutes in pan
- before removing to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 184 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.