- 2-1/4 cups chopped dried apricots
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, bring apricots and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until water is absorbed and fruit is tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a food processor; add brown sugar. Cover and process until smooth.
- In a bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat butter and remaining water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40-45 minutes.
- Punch dough down; divide into thirds. On greased baking sheets, roll out each portion into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Spread filling down the center of each rectangle. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips about 2 in. into center. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over braids. Yield: 3 braids.
Reviews forApricot Braids
"This is awesome. Half of it was gone before I could even glaze it! There was just the right amount of filling too. I refrigerated it overnight after shaping the braid and then removed it from the oven and let rise for 20 minutes then baked it. It was wonderful."