Blackberries became my favorite fruit after harvesting them from my grandfather’s yard in Greece. I mix them with apricots to make the pie of my dreams. —Simone Bazos, Baltimore, Maryland
- 1/2 cup unblanched almonds, toasted
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups peeled and sliced fresh apricots
- 1-1/2 cups fresh blackberries
- EGG WASH:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Coarse sugar
- Place almonds in a food processor; pulse until finely ground. Add flour, sugar and salt; pulse until blended. Add butter and cream cheese; pulse until butter is the size of peas. While pulsing, gradually add buttermilk until mixture starts to form a ball. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add apricots and berries; toss to coat. Let stand 10 minutes. Filling will be very juicy.
- Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate. Add filling. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into strips about 1/2 in. wide. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg with water. Brush over lattice strips; sprinkle with sugar. Bake 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 375°. Bake 45-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Apricot-Blackberry Pie in Taste of Home June/July 2016, p66
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Apricot-Blackberry Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review