It doesn't take long to put together this pretty side dish dotted with dried apricots and golden raisins. Then just pop it into the oven and enjoy the aroma! Diane Swink of Signal Mountain, Tennessee writes, "My mother was a farm girl who helped feed the threshers during harvesttime. They always asked for seconds of this."
- 2/3 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups medium pearl barley
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- In a large skillet, saute nuts in 2 tablespoons butter until lightly browned; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the barley and onions in remaining butter until onions are tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in the apricots, raisins and reserved nuts.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/4 hours or until barley is tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Apricot Barley Casserole in Quick Cooking May/June 1998, p55
Reviews for Apricot Barley Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review