Apricot Apple Compote Recipe
You won't have to skip dessert when this comforting compote is on the menu. "I asked a friend of mine how she could eat dessert and still stay thin, and she handed me this recipe," shares Suzan Wiener of Spring Hill, Florida. A touch of cinnamon and lemon accents the fruit flavor...and the dish is a snap to make.
- 10 dried apricots, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 medium apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a bowl, soak apricots in water for 30 minutes. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons water. In a saucepan, combine the apricots, apples, sugar and reserved water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until apples are tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in lemon juice, peel and cinnamon. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 3 servings.
One serving (2/3 cup) equals 142 calories, 1 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 fruit.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC