Apricot Almond Upside-Down Cake Recipe
If you're looking for a down-home dessert, search no further. This fruity cake looks pretty on the plate and tastes like the kind Mom used to make. It's scrumptious in any season. Try serving it warm from the oven with vanilla ice cream.
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) apricot halves in syrup
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Drain apricots, reserving 6 tablespoons syrup; set aside. In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat; stir in brown sugar. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with almonds. Arrange apricot halves cut side up in a single layer over almonds; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs on medium-high speed until lemon-colored. Gradually beat in sugar and reserved syrup. Stir in almond extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture, beating just until moistened. Spoon batter over apricots.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Apricot Almond Upside-Down Cake in Country Woman November/December 2004, p31
Reviews for Apricot Almond Upside-Down Cake(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review