"This tender chicken topped with sweet apricot preserves and crunchy almonds is special enough for guests, yet requires no complicated cooking," notes Betty Due of Mendota, Illinois. The hearty brown rice, with colorful flecks of red and green pepper, makes a pretty accompaniment.
- 2-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with chicken.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until rice is tender. Uncover and stir the rice. Place 1 tablespoonful of preserves on each chicken breast.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake 5 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Apricot Almond Chicken in Quick Cooking September/October 1998, p22
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Apricot Almond Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review