Almonds add nutty crunch to the cookie crumb layers in this ice cream dessert from Marcy McReynolds of Nixa, Missouri. "A friend brought us this special treat when she and her husband came over for dinner," Marcy notes. "The combination of almonds and apricots remains in a family favorite."
16-20 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + freezing
- 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1-1/3 cups Diamond of California Slivered Almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 6 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 jar (18 ounces) apricot preserves
- In a large bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, almonds, butter and
- extract. Pat a third into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Freeze
- for 15 minutes.
- Carefully spread half of the ice cream over crust. Spoon half of the
- preserves over the ice cream. Sprinkle with half of the remaining
- crumb mixture. Freeze for 20-30 minutes. Repeat layers. Freeze. May
- be frozen for up to 2 months. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 301 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 141 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.