Apricot-Almond Antarctica Recipe
Almonds add nutty crunch to the cookie crumb layers in this ice cream dessert from Marcy McReynolds of Nixa, Missouri. "A friend brought us this special treat when she and her husband came over for dinner," Marcy notes. "The combination of almonds and apricots remains in a family favorite."
- 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1-1/3 cups slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 6 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 jar (18 ounces) apricot preserves
- In a large bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, almonds, butter and extract. Pat a third into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. pan. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Carefully spread half of the ice cream over crust. Spoon half of the preserves over the ice cream. Sprinkle with half of the remaining crumb mixture. Freeze for 20-30 minutes. Repeat layers. Freeze. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Apricot-almond Antarctica in Quick Cooking July/August 1998, p35
Reviews for Apricot-Almond Antarctica
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review