Apricot & Maraschino Cherry Preserves
This chunky spread is so colorful and festive--like fruitcake in a jar! The maraschino cherries, canned pineapple and dried apricots are fruits that are readily available year-round.
40 ServingsPrep: 2 hours Process: 10 min.
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2 cups dried apricots or dried peaches, halved
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 jar (6 ounces) red maraschino cherries, halved and patted dry
- 1 jar (6 ounces) green maraschino cherries, halved and patted dry
- Place water and apricots in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until liquid is almost
- evaporated. Stir in pineapple, sugar and lemon juice. Cook and stir
- 35-40 minutes or until thickened.
- Using a potato masher, mash fruit. Add cherries; bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam if necessary. Carefully ladle
- hot mixture into five hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace.
- Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot
- mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until
- fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are
- completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process 10 minutes.