Apricot & Maraschino Cherry Preserves Recipe
- 2-2/3 cups water
- 2 cups dried apricots or dried peaches, halved
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 jar (6 ounces) red maraschino cherries, halved and patted dry
- 1 jar (6 ounces) green maraschino cherries, halved and patted dry
- 1. Place water and apricots in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated. Stir in pineapple, sugar and lemon juice. Cook and stir 35-40 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Using a potato masher, mash fruit. Add cherries; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; skim off foam if necessary. Carefully ladle hot mixture into five hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- 3. Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 5 half-pints.
2 tablespoons: 0 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 0mg sodium, 0g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein
Reviews for Apricot & Maraschino Cherry Preserves
"Don't use UNSULFERED dried apricots - they stay an unappetizing brown color and the cherries and pineapple are visually lost. I can't blame the recipe for the looks I got but I can't say that I cared for the taste either. Hopefully that is just a result of the the unsulfered fruit."