"Oregon produces some of the best apples in the country, so we're always coming up with new and delicious ways to serve them," comments Jayne Schilling, who lives in Salem. "The sweet sauce with tender chunks of apple is heavenly over ice cream, gingerbread or pound cake."
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, flour, water, lemon
- juice and salt; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add apples; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until apples are
- Remove from the heat; add butter and vanilla. Stir until butter is
- melted. Serve warm or at room temperature over ice cream. Yield:
- 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 261 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 269 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.