I can remember my mother preparing these hearty "meal-in-one" waffles when I was growing up. Now I often make them for my own clan using eggs from our chickens, and homemade sausage and applesauce.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, separated
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- In a skillet, brown and crumble sausage until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon
- and nutmeg. In a another bowl, beat egg yolks lightly. Add milk,
- applesauce and oil; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until
- combined. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Drain sausage; add to batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron
- according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Yield: 8
- waffles (about 6-1/2 inches).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 484 calories, 32 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 478 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.