I can remember my mother preparing these hearty "meal-in-one" waffles when I was growing up. Now I often make them for my own clan using eggs from our chickens, and homemade sausage and applesauce.
Featured In: Apple Pie-Inspired Recipes
- 1 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- In a skillet, brown and crumble sausage until no longer pink. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a another bowl, beat egg yolks lightly. Add milk, applesauce and oil; mix well. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Drain sausage; add to batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Yield: 8 waffles (about 6-1/2 inches).
Originally published as Applesauce/Sausage Waffles in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p36
Reviews for Applesauce/Sausage Waffles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 9, 2010
"When I made these, my husband said, "You sure do make good waffles!" I will make these again."