Applesauce Oat Cake Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups applesauce
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring the applesauce to a slow boil. Stir in oats; remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves; add to the creamed mixture alternately with applesauce mixture.
- 3. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cooled cake. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 435 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Applesauce Oat Cake
"I did not make the frosting, but the cake was tasty!"
"I found this recipe in a news clipping from my Mom. It was published in the Petersburg, Va "The Progress-Index" in March of 1971 by Aileen Claire NEA food editor."