Applesauce Oat Cake Recipe
The spicy aroma of this cake brings back childhood memories of my mother's kitchen. This small cake is just right for a couple of cake lovers. -Donna Perkins, Mineral Wells, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 40 min. + cooling YIELD:9 servings
- 1-3/4 cups applesauce
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring the applesauce to a slow boil. Stir in oats; remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves; add to the creamed mixture alternately with applesauce mixture.
- 3. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. In a large bowl, combine the frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cooled cake. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 435 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 315 mg sodium, 72 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC