Applesauce Oat Bran Muffins Recipe
I sprinkle a tempting topping of cinnamon, sugar and walnuts on these moist muffins. They're best served warm from the oven.—Beth Struble, Bryan, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the oat bran, flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the eggs, applesauce, oil and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
- 2. Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray three-fourths full. Combine the walnuts, cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing form pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 muffin equals 156 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 179 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC