Applesauce Muffin Mix Recipe
"I adapted a recipe so I could give this homemade muffin mix to our family for holiday gifts," says Barbara Opperwall of Wyoming, Michigan.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a 1-pint glass jar, layer 3/4 cup flour, oats, sugar mixture and remaining flour. Cover and store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 1 batch (about 2 cups total).
- 2. To prepare muffins: In a bowl, combine the egg, applesauce, butter and vanilla. Stir in muffin mix just until moistened. Fill greased muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes our clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 9 muffins.
1 serving (1 each) equals 240 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC