These savory, from-scratch meatballs are always well-received. Folks really like the tangy sauce that uses hot pepper sauce to give the meatballs a little kick. —Betsy Smith, San Diego, California
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 3 to 5 drops Worcestershire sauce
- 3 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, gently brown meatballs over medium heat; drain. Transfer to an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish.
- Combine sauce ingredients; pour over meatballs. Cover and bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Applesauce Meatballs in Reminisce January/February 2006, p 48
Reviews for Applesauce Meatballs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review