"Slices of this moist old-fashioned cake hold up well in a lunch bag," assures Pamela Kelley of Downey, California.
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Add to applesauce mixture; mix well. Stir in the raisins and walnuts. Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Applesauce Loaf Cake in Taste of Home August/September 1999, p54
Reviews for Applesauce Loaf Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 27, 2012 Edited Jun. 23, 2014
"I made adjustments on this recipe when I'd first prepared it: i used 1/4 cup butter or margarine & I used 1 tsp. salt with sifted dry ingredients! I also used 1/8 cup all-purpose flourwith raisins and added 1/2 cup chopped pecans OR walnuts and 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. I'd also added 1 Tbsp. ground Navel orange to the creamed mixture for added flavor and I'd used two 8-1/2x4-1/2x2-1/2" greased and floured loaf pans or three 7-1/2x3-1/2" greased and floured loaf pans. I baked 45 to 55 minutes or until a cake tester inserted near center comes out clean. I cooled in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Thank you, Pamela Kelley, for sharing your recipe! delowenstein"