Applesauce Lattice Pie Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the water, milk and vinegar; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Coat a 9-in. pie plate with cooking spray. Set aside a third of the dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining dough to fit pie plate. Transfer pastry to plate; trim even with edge.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine apples and raisins. Combine the sugar substitute, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; add to apple mixture and toss to coat. Spoon 3 cups into the crust; cover with applesauce. Top with remaining apple mixture; dot with butter.
- 4. Roll out reserved portion of dough; make a lattice crust. Trim and flute edges. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
One piece equals 281 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 235 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 3 fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fruit.