Applesauce Lattice Pie Recipe
"I had some apples that needed to be used up, so I combined them with a can of applesauce and turned out my best-tasting apple pie ever," writes Cherie Sweet of Evansville, Indiana.
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 4 to 6 tablespoons cold water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons butter
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the water, milk and vinegar; gradually add to crumb mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- Coat a 9-in. pie plate with cooking spray. Set aside a third of the dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining dough to fit pie plate. Transfer pastry to plate; trim even with edge.
- In a large bowl, combine apples and raisins. Combine the sugar substitute, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; add to apple mixture and toss to coat. Spoon 3 cups into the crust; cover with applesauce. Top with remaining apple mixture; dot with butter.
- Roll out reserved portion of dough; make a lattice crust. Trim and flute edges. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Applesauce Lattice Pie in Light & Tasty October/November 2003, p58
Reviews for Applesauce Lattice Pie(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Pie >
- Apple Pie Crust >
- Apple Pie Recipes >
- Apple Pie Recipes with Fresh Apples >
- Apple Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Fruit Pie Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Homemade Pie Crust >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >