Applesauce Ice Cream Cake Roll Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 2-1/2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Caramel ice cream topping, optional
- 1. Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in applesauce. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves; fold into applesauce mixture. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- 3. Bake at 350° 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. Unroll cake; spread ice cream evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Frost top, sides and ends with whipped topping. Cover and freeze for at least 1 hour. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before cutting. Drizzle with caramel topping if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
1 slice (calculated without caramel topping) equals 263 calories, 9 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.