"I made these tasty cake doughnuts often when our children were growing up," says Frances Poste of Wall, South Dakota. "They're quick and easy."
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk (the batter will be thick).
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter a few at a time into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while warm. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Applesauce Drop Doughnuts in Taste of Home October/November 1999, p8
Reviews for Applesauce Drop Doughnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review