- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk (the batter will be thick).
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter a few at a time into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while warm. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews for Applesauce Drop Doughnuts
Sort By :
"THIS LITTLE DAB OF CINNAMON AND NUTMEG WOULD NOT MAKE THE BATTER DARK!!!"
"I have not tried them, wanted to know if anyone tried baking them? Trying not to eat fried foods..."
"These were good, cake like donuts. You have to have a good dough to have a good tasting donut and this recipe is good. Thank you for sharing it with my family."
"I won't be making this again. No matter how small the fritter was it was raw on the inside and dark on the outside. Also too much of a nutmeg flavor & the amount of cinnamon made the batter dark....I have no idea what went wrong."
"My daughter and I had so much fun making these! The recipe surely made a lot---enough to share with neighbors. I even had a catering request for these! Great recipe!"