- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; gradually add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk (the batter will be thick).
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter a few at a time into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels; roll in sugar while warm. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Reviews for Applesauce Drop Doughnuts
Sort By :
THIS LITTLE DAB OF CINNAMON AND NUTMEG WOULD NOT MAKE THE BATTER DARK!!!
I have not tried them, wanted to know if anyone tried baking them? Trying not to eat fried foods...
These were good, cake like donuts. You have to have a good dough to have a good tasting donut and this recipe is good. Thank you for sharing it with my family.
I won't be making this again. No matter how small the fritter was it was raw on the inside and dark on the outside. Also too much of a nutmeg flavor & the amount of cinnamon made the batter dark....I have no idea what went wrong.
My daughter and I had so much fun making these! The recipe surely made a lot---enough to share with neighbors. I even had a catering request for these! Great recipe!