- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, combine the applesauce, milk, oil and egg white. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray three-fourths full.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: 10 muffins.
Reviews for Applesauce Cinnamon Oat Muffins
Sort By :
"These were great! I don't like really sweet things for breakfast so I left off the topping. I also didn't have an egg so instead I used 1 tablespoon of crushed chia seeds (I used a food processor to crush them) and 3 tablespoons of water. You mix those together and let them sit for about 5 minutes and they become the consistency of an egg yolk. Worked beautifully and tasted great!!!"
"Great healthier recipe! Made recipe using some of suggested & my own options: upped the cinnamon, used almond milk, had a large shriveling apple that I washed, cored and processed w/peal till fine, accidentally used the 1/3 instead of 1/2 cup for the brown sugar but was plenty sweet and skipped topping. Moist with crunchy top. May add some chopped nuts and a bit of fresh grated ginger to next batch. Can have fun with healthy add-ins you like."
"EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT recipe!!! Will definitely make again. They turned out quite moist which is unusual for "healthy" muffins, especially because I replaced the white flour with whole wheat. And they had a delicious flavour!!! I had made a few modifications (so I haven't tried the "original" recipe) as follows:- Switching white flour for whole wheat- Upping the cinnamon content (probably at least double)- Adding a bit of ginger (probably what the recipe called for for cinnamon or a bit less)- Using 1/2 the applesauce (I ran out!)- Using 1 less tablespoon of oil (I'd doubled it, so I used 1/4 cup)- Adding in 1 O% yogurt cup (for moisture to compensate for the applesauce and oil)I also did not try the topping.And it was delicious!! I would also suggest adding nutmeg, allspice, raisins, or walnuts. Yum!!"
"These were delicious and filling! I actually got 12 muffins out of this recipe. I did substitute a few things: white whole wheat flour for AP, splenda and 1/2 t molasses for brown sugar inside muffins (I used regular brown sugar for the topping) and almond milk for the skim milk. I also added 1/4 t nutmeg to the batter and a dash of nutmeg to the topping. Muffins were just under 150 calories and less than 22 net carbs with my changes. I will definitely make these again."
"Even better with finely chopped apple in batter. Makes 12 muffins easily."