My grandmother passed this recipe down to me, and I'm eager to share it with my children. The down-home muffins are tender on the inside and have a crispy topping of oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. I've even added raisins and cranberries to the batter for a different taste. —Hannah Barringer Loudon, Tennessee
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In another bowl, combine the applesauce, milk, oil and egg white. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray three-fourths full.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 400° for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Yield: 10 muffins.
Originally published as Applesauce Oat Muffins in Quick Cooking July/August 2003, p29
Reviews for Applesauce Cinnamon Oat Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review