Applesauce Cinnamon Bread Recipe
This recipe contains quite a bit of applesauce, which provides natural sweetness so you use less sugar. As a bonus, it also allows for a minimal amount of oil to be used. Sherry Craw - Mattoon, Illinois
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites, egg, applesauce, oil and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Transfer to a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Combine brown sugar and remaining cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice equals 139 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC