Applesauce Cinnamon Bread Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. In a small bowl, whisk the egg whites, egg, applesauce, oil and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Transfer to a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Combine brown sugar and remaining cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 slice: 139 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Applesauce Cinnamon Bread
"This was very tasty and had good flavor. The applesauce made it moist."
"Excellent taste and texture. I will be placing this recipe in my favorite's recipe collection."
"I didn't love this recipe. Not too fond of the nutmeg, I'd say- not expecting that flavor in a cinnamon bread. Not too sure about the brown sugar in the topping, either."
"Anyone have ideas on how to convert this to a muffin recipe? I love the loaf but muffins are portable for the kids' lunches so I am curious how I could convert thisThanks much"
"The cake is delicious, it does not reveal its lower fat ingredients at all! A moist, apple- ful cake with a tender crumb. The topping, although simple, really elevates it. When I've been out of whole wheat flour, I have used all white with still excellent results. Everyone I've given this to has enjoyed it.Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I will try flavoured applesauces next for variety."
"These are very tasty!"
"This is an excellent recipe for a lower fat version. It had great texture and great flavor. I used 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon in the batter. I loved the brown sugar/cinnamon topping. This baked so nicely. It is going in my keeper file for sure!"
"moist and delicious, tastes decadent even though its healthier, I added 2 tbsp flax seed to recipe, upped nutritional but taste and texture were wonderful."
"My kids didn't really like this, nor did I. The texture is odd. There are far better applesauce loaf recipes out there."
"Maybe try not putting the crumb topping on till the last few minutes of baking,see if that works."
"This is delicious and so easy to make! It's just a little crumbly but that's OK. All three of my kids loved it. It's less work than making the applesauce muffins like I've done in the past."