Applesauce Cake Recipe
"This family favorite is so sweet, moist and tender, no one will know it's a low-fat cake," says Joanne Huff of Champaign, Illinois.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:20 servings
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a bowl, beat egg substitute for 1 minute on medium speed. Add the applesauce, sugar and oil; mix well. Combine the dry ingredients; add to applesauce mixture and mix well. Stir in raisins and walnuts.
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Frost the cake. Yield: 20 servings.
One piece equals 186 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC