Applesauce Brownies Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in applesauce. Pour into an 8-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 16 brownies.
1 brownie equals 154 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Applesauce Brownies
"My husband and I really enjoyed these brownies! I followed julezh's advice and increased the cocoa to 1/4 cup...yum! I also substituted 1/8 cup Greek yogurt for half the butter and omitted the sugar and nuts in the topping (we're not big fans of nuts). These brownies are very cake-like, moist and delicious...I will definitely make them again!"
"These were very good. Finished the pan in no time. I did use light butter and it came out fine. Would call this a cake more than a brownie. Don't think the sugar in the topping was necessary."
"My husband liked these flavorful, not overly sweet brownies. I did increase the cocoa to 1/4 cup on the first try which gives just a hint of chocolate, the cinnamon is subtle yet a delicious surprise. To save a few calories I used 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips and slightly less than 1/2 cup of chopped nuts and omitted the sugar in the topping. Will definitely double this in a jelly roll pan for larger crowds."