Our family has always loved red cabbage. Not only is it a perfect accompaniment to a favorite roast, it is so colorful on the plate. An added plus for the cook...it tastes even better the next day!
- 1 to 2-1/2 pounds medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3 large tart apples, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Dash pepper
- Place cabbage in a large saucepan; add boiling water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add apples; cook 10 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients and heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Red Cabbage with Apples in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p57
Reviews for Apples with Red Cabbage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed May. 29, 2014
"This was really good. And it looks beautiful! I suppose its not for everyone though. If you like sauerkraut you'll like this. I added a little extra sugar."
Reviewed Oct. 3, 2011
"Added more vinegar and granulated sugar"