Our family has always loved red cabbage. Not only is it a perfect accompaniment to a favorite roast, it is so colorful on the plate. An added plus for the cook...it tastes even better the next day!
- 1 to 2-1/2 pounds medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3 large tart apples, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Dash pepper
- Place cabbage in a large saucepan; add boiling water. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add apples; cook 10 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients and heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Red Cabbage with Apples in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p57
Reviews for Apples with Red Cabbage
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 29, 2014
"This was really good. And it looks beautiful! I suppose its not for everyone though. If you like sauerkraut you'll like this. I added a little extra sugar."
Reviewed Oct. 3, 2011
"Added more vinegar and granulated sugar"