This is one of the recipes I included in a cookbook I put together after my grown children kept calling home to ask how to make some of their favorite dishes. What a wonderful experience that was, gathering my mother's and my own recipes plus those from friends and family. My daughters and some of their friends did some artwork for it, and we now have a book we are proud to share!
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Pour butter into a 9-in. square baking pan. Mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Arrange apple slices in pan. Sprinkle with raisins.
- In a bowl, combine yeast, water, sugar, salt and 1 cup flour; beat for 1-2 minutes. Add egg, shortening and remaining flour. Beat for 1 minute. Drop dough by spoonfuls over apples. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until done. Invert pan on a serving platter. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Apple Yeast Bread in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p76
Reviews for Apple Yeast Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review