To perk up your mornings or snack times, Mina Dyck suggests you try her moist munchablemuffins. "Apples and raisins lend natural sweetness to whole grain flavor," she notes from Boissevain, Manitoba. "These muffins impressed judges enough to earn a prize in a healthy recipe contest I entered.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup grated apple
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, yogurt, applesauce and oil. Stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in the apple, raisins and orange peel.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full with batter.
- Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Apple Wheat Muffins in Light & Tasty October/November 2002, p50
Reviews for Apple Wheat Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review