Apple Walnut Squares Recipe
I MAKE "apple everything" in fall when the new crop is in, and I was happy to add this delicious recipe to my apple dishes. A lady at church shared it with me. Sometimes I'll top the squares with a cream cheese frosting, especially if I'm having company. -Leona Pecoraro, Ravenden, Arkansas
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar; beat in egg. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well (dough will be stiff). Stir in apples.
- 2. Spread batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon and vanilla; sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Cut into squares. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 235 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 199 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Apple Walnut Squares
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC