Apple Walnut Squares Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar; beat in egg. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well (dough will be stiff). Stir in apples.
- 2. Spread batter into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Combine brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon and vanilla; sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Cut into squares. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 each: 235 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Apple Walnut Squares
"I can't stop making these they r delicious!"
"Excellent, easy to follow and turned out great ! The family, friends,& neighbors told me it was a keeper!"
"Delicious. You can cut down on sugar/calories. I cut the sugar down to less than 1/2 cup, and I used a very scant 1/2 cup brown sugar (not packed). It turned out excellent. I will make this again. Thanks for such a good recipe!"
"I found this recipe easy to follow and can share with any level baker I know. The taste was amazing. My husband who does not like most sweets love it and ask for second!! I love that i can substitute with another fruit. This will def be my go to recipe in the fall. The smell of the square cooking, filled the house. and everyone in my house was saying "what the great smell""
"<p>Love this recipe easy to follow , I am def interested in add the blueberries, let you know how that goes. My husband who does not like most sweets, found this amazing and asked for second. The house smelled so great while I was cooking it. Def will make this one a go to recipe. I love that I will be able to change the fruit ..</p>"
"Excellent! I divided the dough and made half the pan apple and half blueberry (frozen). Both were great. I am anxious to try other fruits."
"i forgot to say that i added a grinder full of ground flax seed...... delicous"
"i loved this recipe i modified it a bit ...i replaced shortening for apple sauce...reduced sugar by half.... used half c white flour, half c whole wheat flour and half a c of oats...tons of apples blueberries cranberries and rind of lemon and whole juice of the lemon added 11/2 c walnuts and added 2 tsp of cinnamon to bottom mixture and i omitted the salt....delicous...i loved it"
"These were absolutely delicious! I substituted butter for the shortening."