A co-worker shared this recipe with me. Now it's a family favorite. Apples, walnuts and raisins are a fun way to dress up colesalw. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 4 to 5 tablespoons sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium apples, chopped
- In a large salad bowl, toss the cabbage, carrots, walnuts, raisins and onion. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, buttermilk, sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pour over cabbage mixture and toss to coat. Gently fold in apples. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Apple Walnut Slaw in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2005, p127
Reviews for Apple Walnut Slaw
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 27, 2013
"Great! Lots of eye appeal. I added a little celery. I'd make again. Janet"
Reviewed Sep. 25, 2013
"So easy, can have everything ready and make at the call . Very nice. Janet"