Apple-Walnut Sausage Stuffing Recipe
Coming from an Italian family, I like to use lots of herbs and seasonings in my cooking. This treasured stuffing features Parmesan cheese, apples and walnuts.—Pamela Hewitt, Laguna Niguel, California
- 5 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 16 cups cubed day-old bread
- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the celery, onions, sage and thyme in butter until vegetables are tender. Transfer to a very large bowl; cool slightly. Stir in the cheese, parsley, salt and pepper; set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add to celery mixture. Add the bread cubes, apples, broth and walnuts; toss to coat.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish (dish will be full). Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through and lightly browned. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 358 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 785 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC