- 3/4 cup ground walnuts
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 5 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional milk, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the walnuts, brown sugar, egg, milk, 1 tablespoon butter, vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Spread nut mixture over crust.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with remaining lemon juice. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; toss with apples. Spoon over the nut mixture; dot with remaining butter.
- Roll out remaining pastry; make a lattice crust. Trim, seal and flute edges. Brush top with a additional milk if desired. Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Apple Walnut Pie
"This was delicious! I'm an inexperienced cook, so of course I undercooked it and it was runny and pretty crunchy, and I failed at making my own crust, BUT, the flavors that came out of it were so wonderful, I loved the walnut. I'll definitely make this again. Or attempt to ;)"
"does anyone have a recipe for an awesome red velvet cake?"
"Hello there! I tried your recipe a few days ago (Monday, 6/22/09) & I am in love with it. It is the best! The only 3 changes I made are: I used vanilla soy milk instead bcause I had no milk at home and I used chopped walnuts for added crunchiness instead of ground walnuts, & I used 1/4 cup of raisins to replace the other 1/4 cup of white sugar. This deliciously wonderful recipe will be added to my "favorite apple pie" recipe collection! It's definitely now one of my fav desserts; there is a surprise in every bite. Highly recommended! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us!!"